About Upofloor

History

Already in the 1950s Upofloor (then called Kymarno Oy) was a pioneer in plastic floorings in Finland. Our company was founded in order to offer the Finnish market an innovative product that was catching on around the world: plastic floorings.

Upofloor - an industry pioneer then and now.

 

1955

Manufacturing of resilient coverings begins in Nokia. Production expands in 1960s to include public spaces' resilient mats and flexible vinyl mats.

1981

Upofloor Oy inaugurates quartz vinyl tile factory at Ikaalinen.

1981

Karelia Parketti begins from Parkettiliike Väänänen Oy, founded by Heikki Väänänen to engage in hardwood flooring installation, wholesale and imports.

1991

Tuupovaara hardwood flooring factory acquired by Karelia Parketti Oy. Production of hardwood flooring with Karelia trademark begins in 1992.

1998

Kuopio factory completed.

2000

Karelia Parketti Oy and Upofloor Oy merge to form Karelia Yhtymä group.

2004

Hartwall family becomes majority shareholder of Karelia Yhtymä Oy (Hartwall family 63.3%, Heikki Väänänen's family 33.4%, external board members and operative management 3.3%).

2007

Group name changed to Karelia-Upofloor Oy.

2007

Karelia-Upofloor started production in Romania.

2008

Upofloor Oy acquired the share capital Laattamaailma Oy (import and sales of ceramic tiles and glass bricks).

2008

Karelia-Upofloor's subsidiary, Focus Wood, started parquet production in Russia.

2008

Hartwall Capital Oy Ab buys the Karelia Upofloor Oy shares owned by Heikki Väänänen's family. After the acquisition Hartwall Capital and its stakeholders own ninetynine percent of the group.

2012

Merger of Karelia-Upofloor and the Swedish company Ab Gustaf Kähr. The majority owner Triton and the second largest owner Hartwall Capital.